It’s not about
how much you make it’s about how much you keep.
Congratulations! You did the hard part, you made it to becoming a professional athlete. Going from a student athlete to a professional athlete is a game changer that presents new challenges like sudden wealth, taxes, mortgages, insurance and expectations from friends and family.
Many professional athletes started from the bottom but made it to the top. When you come from humble beginnings you have to learn about financial matters quickly. Like myself when I first started my professional career I had no money, limited knowledge about money and limited experience managing sudden wealth. It helps when you can relate to the person who is teaching you about your money. What we do well is try to take the complicated and make it simple for our clients to understand.
When you are putting your financial team in place (ex. Financial Advisor, Accountant, Lawyer) you should consider who will be the leader of that team? You will need a financial advisor that understands your goals and needs thoroughly. You will need a financial advisor that not only advises you on how to invest your money but one that also has experience working with the unique circumstances of professional athlete clients. Not every financial advisor has worked with clients that have sudden wealth at a young age (1st & 2nd contract), may have to move frequently (multiple teams), has uneven cash flow (salary paid in season only), deals with short and long term disability (injuries), may have to retire at a young age (injuries) and has to adjust to a new career (post retirement).
Professional athletes have unique financial needs. Assessing and planning for long-term needs is an important step for them. Working with professional athletes requires an all-inclusive approach which looks at their overall financial situation not just their investments. When it comes to your career as a professional athlete you hire and work with the best trainers and coaches to help you be the best that you can be in your respective sport. You should do the same when it comes to managing your wealth. Hire the team that you think will do their best to help you achieve your financial goals.
Knowshon Moreno & Anthony Paul at Knowshon's 2017 induction to the Florida-Georgia Hall Of Fame
Why Hire The Hamilton Group
Because we pursue excellence. Just like you we have spent over twenty years focusing on being the best at what we do. We built our wealth management company from nothing to where it is today so we understand coming from humble beginnings to being blessed to have great success. We have also learned personally it doesn’t matter how much you make it’s how much you keep.
We have heard from professional athletes “why do I need a financial advisor?” Our answer is, we don’t just help you manage your investments. We become your family’s office by helping you take care of business outside of your sport, so you can focus on doing what you do best. The below is a list of the services we provide to our professional athletes to help them make good financial decisions during their career and after their retirement:
- We help you build your financial team – lawyer, CPA (accountant), publicists, insurance agent, etc.
- Investment Portfolio Creation
- Tax Planning
- Financial planning
- Estate planning
- Charitable gift planning
- Professional athletes benefit packages
- Review and evaluate any possible business opportunities presented to you
- Home(personal) or gift for family members
- Rental properties
- Financing options
- Work with you on any possible estate planning issues; financial assistance to any family members
- Life Insurance
- Property and Casualty
- Direct Deposit
- Banking/Checking Accounts
- Automated Bill Pay
- Work with you regarding financial assistance to any family members
- Large Purchase Consulting
- Automobile purchases
- Financing Options
- Review professional contract
- Review with agent any potential contract changes and potential income from other sources (endorsements, promotional appearances)
- Offseason – work with you on job placement, if interested
- Work with you on professional development for opportunities off the field and post playing career.
- Networking with other clients
- Creation of a 5-year Plan
- Retirement planning
- Retired Players Benefits Packages
- Career Counseling/Post Career Adjusting
We Are Distinctively Qualified
We have been working in the financial services industry since 1997. We also bring diverse perspectives and insights to our clients. Our services extend from draft day to retirement and beyond. Our wealth management services strive to help you extend your success off the playing field.
Examples of how we work with clients
We helped a client start a foundation that raises money to give scholarships to underprivileged students. We helped create the mission statement and worked with the client’s accountant and attorney to register the 501c3 and set up payroll for the staff.
We worked with our client set up an insurance policy that covers his potential estate taxes and provides coverage for his family’s needs in case of accidental death.
We worked with a client during his career transition from professional athlete to business professional. We worked with client C to co-ordinate his retirement benefits from the league’s player’s association. We also worked with Client C to create a 5-year plan to provide a roadmap for his career transition. Between the combination of client C’s network and ours, he was able to review several job offers that aligned with the 5-year plan we created together.
We Can Help You Answer These Questions
- Should I buy or rent?
- How much house can I afford?
- Should I buy my parent’s a house?
- Should I invest in the league’s retirement plan?
- Do I need a budget?
- Is there anything I can do to lower my taxes?
- Should I invest in this deal?
- Do I need life insurance?
- Who can I trust to give me advice about my finances?
- How much can I give to friends, family and charities?
- Should I set up a foundation?
Thanks for taking the time to read the above information. Please let us know if you would like additional information or if you would like to set up an appointment.
Best wishes to you and your family.
****While we are familiar with the tax provisions of the issues presented herein, as Financial Advisors of RJFS, we are not qualified to render advice on tax or legal matters. You should discuss tax or legal matters with the appropriate professional.