One of the most important decisions that you can make in your life is choosing the right financial advisor. To avoid choosing the wrong financial advisor, I recommend the following:
- DO NOT choose an advisor if he or she does not have a professional business website and a professional LinkedIn profile. This is self-explanatory.
- DO NOT choose an advisor if he or she does not have a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®) certification or any other relevant certification. This is also self-explanatory.
- DO NOT choose an advisor if you are uncomfortable with his or her background on BrokerCheck. This is very important.
- DO NOT choose an advisor if you are uncomfortable with his or her compensation plan when it is not aligned with your financial plan. This is also very important.
- DO NOT choose an advisor solely because he or she was recommended by someone you know. Just because an advisor may be right for someone you know, it does not mean that he or she will be right for you.
- DO NOT choose an advisor solely because he or she met you in a social setting. Just because an advisor may seem like a nice person to you, it does not mean that he or she will be a good advisor for you.
- DO NOT choose an advisor who makes investment products sound great but does not help you understand them. If an advisor can sell things to you but cannot explain things to you, you should look for another advisor.
- DO NOT choose an advisor who presents products first and asks questions later. If an advisor is more concerned about selling to you than planning for you, you should immediately look for another advisor.
- DO NOT choose an advisor if it is not a human being. If you have resigned yourself to a robo advisor on a website, you have not met a real advisor in an office.
Do your due diligence on-line, then in-person. If you would like to consider choosing me as your financial advisor, please contact us.
Any opinions are those of Sean Mullervy and not necessarily those of RJFS or Raymond James. The information contained in this report does not purport to be a complete description of the developments referred to in this material. Every investor's situation is unique and you should consider your investment goals, risk tolerance and time horizon before making any investment. Prior to making an investment decision, please consult with a financial advisor about your individual situation.