HSA Contribution Eligibility Requirements
Health savings accounts (HSAs) are regulated by the IRS, so there are specific provisions that may disqualify you from contributing to an HSA. If you aren’t eligible to contribute to an HSA, you can still enroll in a medical plan and use the coverage. And the company contributions that would have otherwise been directed to an HSA will go to a healthcare flexible spending account (FSA) along with contributions you may wish to make. If you aren’t eligible to contribute to an HSA, please email the Health and Wellness Services department to discuss your account options.
You are NOT eligible to contribute to an HSA if:
- You are claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.
- You are covered by another medical plan that is not a high-deductible health plan (HDHP) – defined by the IRS as any plan with a deductible of at least $1,400 for an individual or $2,800 for a family.
- Your spouse has a healthcare FSA or health reimbursement arrangement (HRA) through his/her employer.
- You are enrolled in TRICARE through the Department of Defense (DoD).
- You have received medical benefits (non-dental, vision or preventive) from Indian Health Service (IHS) or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) that was not treatment for a service-connected disability at any time in the previous three months.
- You are enrolled in Medicare.
Welcome to WEX!
All of our tax-advantaged accounts – HSA and all FSAs (healthcare, dependent care, transportation and limited purpose) – will be administered by our vendor, WEX.
Contact: Monday – Friday, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. CT, with the exception of some major holidays.
Toll free 866.451.3399