The strength of family working for you
Our unique culture of independence gives each Raymond James financial advisor the freedom to meticulously tailor a long-term plan based solely on the financial well-being of each client and his or her specific goals. Watch more of the story to see what a Raymond James advisor can do for you.
In 1962, Bob James set out to build a different kind of financial services firm – one that would focus on long-term planning instead of simply placing trades, one that would remain uncompromisingly moderate through market highs and lows, and one that would always put clients and the advisors who serve them first. And now, after more than 60 years of integrity, independence and innovation, Bob's different kind of firm is one of the leading independent financial services companies in the United States.
A Brief History
- 1962 Robert A. James Investments merges with Raymond & Associates to form Raymond James.
- 1983 Raymond James is listed on the New York Stock Exchange, symbol RJF.
- 2008 Raymond James is one of the few firms to remain stable and profitable through the economic downturn.
- 2012 Raymond James celebrates 50 years of client-first service.
- 2017 Raymond James is selected to be a part of the S&P 500 index.3
- 2020 Raymond James surpasses $1 trillion in client assets under administration.
From humble beginnings, Raymond James has grown to become a well-respected, widely recognized multinational firm with distinct business units that serve a variety of clients, from individuals and small business owners to municipalities and major corporations.
October 19, 1987: Black Monday. While other firms closed their trading desks to minimize internal losses, Raymond James kept its desks open to meet clients’ needs. Because of Raymond James’ agency-based business model and commitment to client service, this was our first, last and only unprofitable quarter since the firm went public. We can be sure the markets will change over the next 25 years, and that our industry and firm will continue to evolve. What won’t change is our commitment to the values that have driven our success.
By the Numbers*
- 142 consecutive quarters of profitability1
- Approximately 8,700 financial advisors
- Approximately $1.28 trillion in client assets
- Stable outlook credit ratings of A-, A- and A3 from Fitch, S&P and Moody's2
It’s been our privilege over these past 60 years to support the goals of our clients and to give back to the communities in which we live and work – and we look forward to continuing to do so for many, many years to come. To take a “scroll” down memory lane, explore our history at RAYMONDJAMES.COM.
*As of 6/30/2023
1Past performance is not indicative of future results. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not a solicitation to buy or sell Raymond James Financial stock.
2A credit rating of a security is not a recommendation to buy, sell or hold securities and may be subject to review, revisions, suspension, reduction or withdrawal at any time by the assigning rating agency.
3The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index of 500 widely held stocks that is generally considered representative of the U.S. stock market. One cannot invest directly in an index.